Monday, January 26, 2009

Worthless.

My final semester of college, one word is coming to mind - WORTHLESS. I feel like so many(ok, all but one) have no depth for being upper level courses. Management 160, our first assignment was a worksheet. WTF. Worthless in class exercises and list making accompanied by elementary level discussion. In my graphic design II course we reviewed photoshop for two hours. I'm pretty sure if you don't know the program by now and use it on a regular basis, you're in the wrong field. GTFO. I want to discuss design, concepts, how to excell in the field, how to meet client needs without sacrificing your work, current trends and where the field is headed. I guess my main critism of courses is the lack of real world application (and I don't mean stupid class projects where you run your own company). Professors float around in these happy little bubbles of the previous century, and don't think past their sylabus and don't realize how much their bubbles are shrinking. Maybe it's because I am "an internet ninja" as a friend fondly calls me, and my time is spent following trends, studying the works of the best of the current designers, and taking interest in the change around me and how to keep up. I hate how I find brilliant tools, applications, and networking sites on my own, only to realize how widespread and powerful they are. Is that something students are expected to learn on their own, and that's why professors never mention them? Is that extra level of learning and discovery the difference between average and greatness? If so, I'm ahead of the game. Unfortunately, I think it's just do to the bubble world of professors and their lack of current knowledge and events. I'm just now starting to hear "Facebook" and it's business applications coming up in class discussions, though it's been in use for years. I never hear about twitter, linkedin, flickr, firefox add-ons(for web design; firebug, measureit, etc). These are becoming crucial for success and networking in a world changing at an increasingly alarming rate. With the economy as is, and the job market in such a crucial state, the naivete of those in charge of our(drake students) education is appalling. Maybe I need to start my own "Dumbledore's Army" to comp for the subpar education not preparing us for the real world. And you wonder why I sleep through half my classes . . . I'm not one to settle for just going through the motions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that while some of the professors might of worked in the real world at one point, if you don't go back regularly then your previous knowledge is useless. As someone who, according to statistics, the first half of my college career is now out-dated and useless, this fills me with unending glee.

I too would like to see a lot of actual, useful real-world information. That kind of stuff is more useful to me than "Is this a factor of operation?". Goddamnit, teach us something thats useful. We graduate and hit the job market, and I actually wanna know something!

mgrind said...

I agree. It's a load of poppycock what most prof's teach. I'll give you real world 101 and how to conquer using skills you have!

1) You has 2 X chromosomes and play games. You win in the game community.

2) You draw cool looking stuff and are really good at it and you has a ninja logo. Win.

3) You take awesome photos and probably are getting good word-of-mouth advertising. Win.

4) Prof's like to think life doesn't exist outside of college. Fail.

5) Combine all your powers together and you could do video game art like Captain Planet saves the planet, only you're way cooler than he'll ever be.

And like you say, "...someday I'm gonna be famous." You will and you'll kick ass. Just remember to send me free copies of your games.